KISMET and COVID-19: A Small Handmade Business in the Time of Corona
Hi friends. I hope this finds you well: physically healthy and staying sane during this new (temporary, but probably longer than we’d like) normal.
First and foremost, my heart goes out to folks who are directly impacted from a health, risk, and loss perspective. I hurt for you if you’ve lost someone to COVID. I send all my gratitude and prayers for strength to the essential people on the front lines, from doctors and nurses to grocery store employees and delivery people. And my daily hope is that every leader and decision-maker finds within them their wisest discernment as they make choices that affect millions.
My family and I are well. We are very fortunate to be able to work and school remotely, and we’ve mostly settled into new routines.
Katie Kismet, like many other small handmade businesses, has seen markets canceled, wholesale opportunities put on hold, and budgets tighten. My production is also impacted, which is tough.
But it’s okay. We’ll get through this. And as a creative person (PSSSST: we’re all creative), this is a very good time to flex those muscles, innovate, get resourceful, and be of help.
Here’s what you need to know about KISMET during COVID-19:
- Katie Kismet is still open for business. If it’s in the shop, it's ready to send out or be made for you.
- KK is shipping USPS First Class Mail for FREE. No code needed. I just can’t guarantee shipping times.
- KK is sending 5% of every purchase to two fantastic organizations. You get to choose which to support at checkout. Learn more about that here.
- Supporting Katie Kismet supports other small businesses, like my glass suppliers, silver suppliers, & bead shop — all local!
- Katie Kismet ships from a healthy home. We are strictly self-isolating, only leaving the house to pick up groceries and goods via contactless curbside. I share this so you have that context when you receive a package from me.
Part of the budget-tightening crowd? I get it.
Here are ways you can support Katie Kismet—or any awesome small business you 💛—without spending a dime:
- Engage with your fave local small businesses on social media: like, ❤️, comment, share, 📌, tweet...
- Refer and recommend them to friends and family
- Write a review on Google, Yelp, Etsy, their Facebook page...
- Share a 📸 of yourself using their product (don’t forget to tag!)
- Send your thoughts about their business or product directly to the maker, with consent to use your words on their website or social media
From this local Austin jewelry maker, thank you. Thank you for reading, for understanding, for your service if you’re essential, for joining me in this weird new reality to help flatten the curve(s), and finally, thank you for supporting me and other small businesses in the ways that are right for you during this time.
WE GOT THIS. 💪